Tuesday, March 10, 2009

New York City Trip: Day 7

Original Post Date: March 19, 2007

We went back to the house and packed up as quick as we could. The taxis came at 1:30 am, and we are now on the ferry back to Manhattan. I can see the Statue of Liberty out the windows to my left. We have to take the subway to Queens and then catch a bus to the airport. We weren’t sure how long it will take, so we aren’t taking any chances. We can’t check in at the airport until 5:00, so we may be sleeping on the floor for awhile before then.

I fell asleep on the subway. All of the sudden it was our stop, and it hadn’t seemed long enough. It only took about half an hour to get from the south end of Manhattan to Astoria, Queens. Once we got off, however, at Astoria, and got all the way down all the sets of stairs with our suitcases, and then found the bus stop...we discovered that the next bus wasn’t coming until 4:20. It was 3:20. And it was freaking cold. And there was a bar or nightclub or something across the street. Taxi, anyone? And me, the only one with cash left. But we got two taxis and headed to the airport. That’s where we are now, sitting in the food court close to the American Airlines check-in desk. I’ve now been awake for almost 23 hours straight and I’m not really thinking straight anymore. I’m surprised I can write.

I finally have had my random celebrity siting. Now, granted, it was a celebrity I had seen before, but it was still random. We were sitting at our gate at LaGuardia and our flight was about to board. The people next to me started talking about seeing Al Roker down the concourse. The mom went to go see and I watched how far she went. When I saw it wasn’t far, I got up and sauntered over. Sure enough, Al Roker was standing in line for food. I pretended to check out the menu while really checking to make sure it was Al Roker. Sure enough, it was! I went back to my seat, satisfied with my celebrity siting. Well, it got better! When I stood up to wait to board the plane, I kind of watched the concourse to see if he would walk by. A minute later, I saw him carrying just coffee. I had seen him with luggage earlier. Suddenly, he turned around and reappeared about 10 seconds later with his luggage. I almost laughed out loud. How would that be for Al Roker to get his bags confiscated (and maybe destroyed) by leaving them unattended at the airport!

I slept most of the way to Chicago. Not very comfortably, I might add. I’m thoroughly exhausted.

I can’t believe our trip to New York is almost over! I’m so tired and I just want to go home, but I’m so sad that we have to leave. It’s been SUCH a fun week!! I can hardly wait to come back to New York again. I didn’t like the huge crowds or standing in lines, but the vibe of the city is just so cool!!

I don’t think I could ever live in New York City. There are so many amazing things about it that I wouldn’t want to become blasé about. I wouldn’t mind not having to drive, though. The traffic is insane! Thousands of people on foot and thousands of cars, trucks, taxis, and busses. I was amazed when we’d hear a siren and the fire trucks would be able to weave through all the cars.

I was amazed at all the different people, too. You’d hear one language, then another. Some we could figure out, other were totally unrecognizable. Some people looked right out of another century, like the Orthodox Jews on the subway. So many different kinds of people. If the United States is a melting pot, then New York City is a very thick, concentrated stew. It gets diluted in other parts of the country. Colorado is a thin soup compared to New York City. (Okay, the food analogy is making me hungry!)

Some classic New York staples I saw: pigeons, street vendors, guys selling handbags, watches, etc., homeless people, and I think I saw a tiny cockroach in the rest room at LaGuardia. I did not, however, see a rat. Nor did I get mugged. And I didn’t see anyone peeing in the subway. (I’m not sad about missing out on any of that, by the way.) I do have to say, though, that it wasn’t cool when we finally figured out the subway and then they changed it for the weekend. That was lame!! We never did figure out the bus system. Maybe next time!

We made it home safely. Everyone’s luggage got home safely, too. It’s weird being back in Colorado. It rained a little on the way to Greeley from the airport. I’m so glad it didn’t rain on us in New York.

The week seems almost like a dream now. We had a fabulous time! I can’t wait to go back!

THE END!!!!!

No comments: