Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Another song that sums up my life!

Original Post Date: March 21, 2008

Every now and then, there is a song that totally sums up my life at that exact moment in time. Here’s the one for right now:

If only you could know the things I long to say. If only I could tell you what I wish I could convey. It’s in my every glance, my hearts an open book. You’d see it all at once if you would only look. If only you could glimpse the feeling that I feel. If only you would notice what I’m dying to reveal. The dreams I can’t declare, the needs I can’t deny. You’d understand them all if only you would try. All my secrets, you would learn them. All my longings, you’d return them. Then the silence would be broken. Not a word would need be spoken. If only it were true, if only for awhile. If only you would notice how I ache behind my smile. I guess you never will, I guess it doesn’t show. But if I never find a way to tell you so, Oh what I would give if only you could know!

I didn’t write them out as "lyrics", because this thing double-spaces when you hit enter. That song is from "The Little Mermaid". (Music by Alan Menken, Lyrics by Glenn Slater.) When I first heard that song, last summer, I cried. I could absolutely, totally and utterly empathize with Ariel. She can’t talk, she can’t tell Prince Eric how she feels. He needed to kiss her, and but he was looking for another girl...that voice. Now, I have full use of my voice (obviously...I out-sang an orchestra last night!!!), but I can’t tell a certain guy how I feel about him. I have been burned too many times in the past. I am scared to death of rejection. I have built this wall up too high around my heart. I protect it a little too fiercely, and I can’t stop...not yet. I know, I know...you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. But statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the ones you do. Ariel finally got her chance. Hopefully, I can get mine.

No comments: