Wednesday, October 22, 2008

From the "Close Calls" and "It Could Have Been Worse" Files

Original Post Date: November 12, 2007

So, I'm on my way to church yesterday. The road is closed, so we had to take a slight detour. I'm in the passenger seat, minding my own business, trying to figure out exactly where we were so that we could get on the right road to Berthoud. We stop at a stop sign at a strange intersection (I'm pretty sure we were in Campion.) We are waiting for other cars at the intersection to go while we are trying to figure out whether to turn left or right. Suddenly...BAM!!!! We are hit from behind! Luckily, we hadn't seen him coming, or we would have tensed up. As it was, we didn't get hit very hard. Just enough to pop the trunk a bit and crack the reverse lights. But the kid who hit us just hadn't been paying attention. He said he was trying to figure out which way to turn and didn't see us. We weren't even going to call the cops, just trade information, but a Sheriff drove by about a minute after it happened. So we were about half an hour late for choir practice and the kid got a ticket. I hope we don't have to go to court.

It could have been worse, though. He could have been going a lot faster than he was. That impact would have been nasty!! It could have been even worse than that, though. I can't help but think...if we hadn't have been there, he might have plowed right through the intersection and broadsided someone. There were a lot of cars that went through while we were sitting there. Because of the detour, it was busier than usual, I suspect. Had I been the one driving, we wouldn't have even gone that way, and there could have been some serious injuries. See...it could have been worse!

In related news, my neck kind of hurts a little today. I was okay yesterday, so I told the cop that I was fine. And really, my neck didn't start to hurt until I got to work this morning and got instantly stressed out. So it could be totally unrelated. And I've had neck problems in the past. I have my C7 vertebrae that likes to rotate. I've told it to stop, but it just won't listen. Grrr... Oh, well...................

So that was my adventure du jour for Sunday. Loads of fun. Let's NOT do it again. Oh, and in case you're wondering, it wasn't any of our cars. I was riding with a friend.

No comments: