Wednesday, October 22, 2008

President Gordon B. Hinckley: A Tribute

Original Post Date: January 27, 2008

What better way to learn of the passing of the Prophet than to be driving down the interstate at 80 mph and have your brother get a text message with the news. That's how I found out. I immediately called my other brother to confirm the news on the internet. It was true. President Hinckley had passed away an hour and a half previous, at the age of 97. You can read about his life in numerous news stories on the net. I'm going to share some personal experiences. I never got to meet him face to face, but I got to see him a couple of times over the years:

The first time was at the dedication of the Denver Temple. I was 8 years old, and sitting on the front row. I don't remember much, except that President Benson wasn't there. This was one of the later sessions, so he was gone by that time. This session was conducted by President Hinckley. During his talk, he talked for a minute or two about children. The camera-man focused on me and kept the camera on me for awhile. My image was broadcast to each room in temple (freaking out my mom and grandma, who were with the choir.) Pretty cool, eh?

The next time was one summer when my mom and I went to the Booksellers Convention in Salt Lake City. We went to a concert at the Tabernacle one night, and suddenly, everyone just stood up and it got really quiet. I remember asking my mom what was going on, and she said that President and Sister Hinckley had just walked in. I tried to see them, but they were on the other side of the Tabernacle. They were short...I'm short...so I didn't really get to see them. But I remember thinking how cool it was that they were there!

The year was 1997 (I think), and we were celebrating the 100 years of the church in Colorado. The Hinckleys had lived in Denver once upon a time (when he worked for the railroad), so they came to the celebration. I remember that they were presented with two trees (Blue Spruce?) and President Hinckley said that they didn't have any place for them, so could they be planted on the grounds of the Denver Temple? They were, and they are now lovingly called the "Hinckley Trees".

The last time was in 2003. President Hinckley was speaking down at DU in a non-religious event. I can't remember exactly what it was, but a bunch of us went down. It was the oddest thing in the world when he walked in. Everyone started clapping. I was with Robin and Sandy and we were like "Um...are we supposed to clap for the Prophet?" Awkward!!! It really was weird. I was so used to just reverently standing up when he entered. And singing "We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet" as he was leaving. But we were clapping? Umm...okay! His speech was awesome, of course, and I'm so glad I went!

A lot of people have "Their Prophet". The one that was president during your formative years, or when you joined the church. President Hinckley will always be "My Prophet". I vaguely remember President Kimball. He died when I was in 2nd grade. I remember being a little scared of President Benson. He died when I was probably 15 or so. President Hunter was the president for such a short time. But I was 17 and a junior in high school when President Hinckley become the president of the church. He was with me through all of college and since then. He was a very powerful man for a short guy, and had such a wonderful sense of humor. I loved to hear him speak. He had such a way of making you feel special and happy and that everything was going to be okay. I've felt bad for him the past couple of years since Sister Hinckley passed. He missed her a lot...he said so himself in Conference! And now they are together again.

It's hard to say goodbye to a beloved Prophet. It's sad, really. But it's a part of life...a part of the church. I'm thankful for what I know. Everything is going to be fine!

Each life that touches ours for good
Reflects thine own great mercy Lord;
Thou sendest blessings from above
Thru words and deeds of those who love.

What greater gift dost thou bestow,
What greater goodness can we know
Than Christ-like friends, whose gentle way
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.

When such a friend from us departs,
We hold forever in our hearts
A sweet and hallowed memory,
Bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.

For worthy friends whose lives proclaim
Devotion to the Savior's name,
Who bless our days with peace and love,
We praise they goodness, Lord above.

Each Life that Touches Ours For Good
Hymn 293
Text: Karen Lynn Davidson
Music: A. Laurence Lyon

No comments: