Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Little Mermaid (Regular Performance)

Original Post Date: September 1, 2007

I saw The Little Mermaid again today. I am very happy to say: THEY FIXED THE ENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!! It was so abrupt before, and now it's not perfect but much more satisfying. I've decided that they figured out what the true conflict of the show is. The real conflict is that Ariel wants to be human. Ursula is more the means to that end rather than just being the "Bad Guy." Sure, she's pure evil, but the way the ending is now, they play up that Ariel has to choose who to trust and where she wants to be. It's a much better ending than before, where they just offed Ursula and all was well. It still needs a little tweaking, because there is still a little too much exposition. But they don't start previews in New York until November, so I have no doubts that all will be great by then!

They still haven't fixed Flounder's costume enough to make it look believable. They added a dorsal fin, but it's still lacking. He still looks like some sort of hip hop kid with heelie sneakers and a blue faux-hawk!

All in all, the show is fantastic and very entertaining! It's aimed more at adults, though. Kids don't get some of the stuff. Like why is Ariel singing when she can't talk? That was the question of the little girl in front of me. How do explain to a 6 year old about interior monologues? Um...you don't. But I love Ariel's songs in the 2nd Act. I really do. In fact, I'm hoping they are in the Vocal Selections, because I want to learn them!!! "If Only" still makes me cry. Gorgeous song. And it hits really close to home for me right now.

Anyhoo...I've felt so priviledged to be a part of the process, watching this show. I'm so glad that Denver FINALLY got an out-of-town tryout. Yay for Denver making it on the theatre map!! Please send more shows here! It really feeds my theatre geekiness. And hey...I'm not obsessed. I'm passionate. So there!!!!

No comments: