Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I don't feel like OLD Tzeitel anymore!

Original Post Date: May 12, 2008

So I haven't felt too old to play Tzeitel for awhile. Totally gotten past that. I don't look or act my age. Most people will never know the age difference between Motel and myself. And none of it would bother me that much, except that I've had a hard time coming to grips with my age this year. I don't feel as old as I am, which is good. I don't look as old as I am, WHICH TOTALLY ROCKS...but I've still got this nagging little voice in the back of my head saying "You are FREAKING 30 YEARS OLD!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR LIFE!?!?" Shut up, voice. I hate you. I loathe you.

Today, I did a little research that I've been meaning to do for awhile. I have known for quite some time that, in the most recent revival of Fiddler on Broadway, Tzeitel was played by Sally Murphy. I'm sure that name means nothing to you, but it does to me. I absolutely adore my recording of the 1994 Lincoln Center Revival of "Carousel". She played a marvelous Julie. (Audra McDonald was Carrie, just for reference.) Anyway, it stuck me one day: If Sally was old enough in 1994 to play Julie, how old was she in 2004 when she played Tzeitel? I finally remembered to look it up today. She was 42. Suddenly, 30 doesn't seem so bad. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: