Wednesday, October 22, 2008

No Vacation for You!

Original Post Date: August 15, 2008

So, apparently, I'm not meant to take a vacation. Not even for one night! I have been so busy with shows this summer, that I haven't gotten to go anywhere but the theatre and home. Pretty much. The only "vacations" I've gotten this year are as follows:

-Winter Park/Granby for 1 night in January. But that was for a What is Opera? gig, so it's hardly a vacation.
-Utah for the weekend in April. 3 days off work and 16 hours in the car...it's vacation-ish.
-Laramie for the evening to see Katrina in "A Chorus Line." Totally not a vacation, but it was leaving the state, so I had to include it.

I didn't get to go to Nauvoo with my family in June, because of Fiddler. Now, I'm supposed to go camping tonight. And it's raining. And possibly snowing in the mountains. So even if the camping trip is still on, I probably won't go. We ALL know what happens when it snows when I'm camping. We are NOT reliving that, thanks. But, even if tonight's camping trip falls through, there's always next Friday night's camping at Grand Lake, right? RIGHT? Well, maybe not. Because of Back to School night next week, our Thursday rehearsal of "The Miracle Worker" might get changed to Friday night. Great. JUST GREAT!!!!!!!!! I am NOT driving by myself over Trail Ridge at 9:00 pm just to turn around come home the next morning. NO WAY!!!!

I guess I'm just going to have to resign myself to the fact that I am not getting away at all for the rest of the year. I wouldn't trade away my amazing shows, but a little break would be REALLY NICE!!!!!! I'm mentally exhausted, that's all there is to it. And now I'm thinking of auditioning for another show that will run in November. But it's one of the few shows I would drop everything to do, so I have to audition. I don't know when I'll get another chance to do the show, because it's widely known around here.

I kind of feel like young Jenny in Forrest Gump. "Dear Lord, make me a bird, so I can fly far, far away from here." Not for the same reason that she was praying for that, but I just want to get away. Too bad I'm poor and a) can't afford to go anywhere and b) really can't afford to take off work until I get my paid vacation time back. ACK!!!!!!!!!

No comments: