Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Angela's 4th Annual Oscar Nomination Predictions

Original Post Date: January 16, 2007

It's that time again. The Oscar Nominations will be announced in one week, so here we go:

ANGELA'S OSCAR NOMINATION PREDICTIONS!!!!(based solely on the movies I've seen this year and not necessarily on the movies that will probably be nominated!!!)

*YAY!*

Best Picture
Superman Returns
Flyboys
World Trade Center
One Night with the King
Stranger Than Fiction

Animated
Over the Hedge
Cars
Happy Feet

Actor
James Franco (Flyboys)
Brandon Routh (Superman Returns)
Will Ferrell (Stranger Than Fiction)
Nicolas Cage (World Trade Center)
Johnny Depp (Pirates of the Caribbean 2)

Actress
Tiffany Dupont (One Night With the King)
Meryl Streep (The Devil Wears Prada)
Dakota Fanning (Dreamer)
Sandra Bullock (The Lake House)
Anne Hathaway (The Devil Wears Prada)

Supporting Actor
Dustin Hoffman (Stranger Than Fiction)
John Rhys-Davies (One Night With the King)
Kevin Spacey (Superman Returns)
Mickey Rooney (Night at the Museum)
Robin Williams (Night at the Museum)

Supporting Actress
Emma Thompson (Stranger Than Fiction)
Maggie Gyllenhaal (World Trade Center)
Dakota Fanning (Charlotte's Web)
Anna Paquin (X-Men: The Last Stand)
Kristen Chenoweth (RV)

And the list of movies that I saw:
The Pink Panther
Poseidon
Just My Luck
Over the Hedge
X-Men: The Last Stand
Cars
Superman Returns
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
The Lake House
Flyboys
World Trade Center
The Santa Clause 3
Take the Lead
RV
The Devil Wears Prada
One Night With the King
Stranger than Fiction
Happy Feet
Dreamer
Charlotte's Web
Night at the Museum

And, since many of you are new to this tradition of mine. I really do base my predictions solely on the movies that I have seen. That's why I include the list of movies. And my record of picking the actual nominees/winners is not that great, I have gotten a few over the years. Example:

Last year, I accurately predicted:
Joaquin Phoenix (Walk the Line)
Paul Giamatti (Cinderella Man)
Kiera Knightley (Pride & Prejudice)
Reese Witherspoon (Walk the Line) *winner*
March of the Penquins (Best Documentary) *winner*

Hindsight is 20/20 they say, and if I had seen Good Night and Good Luck before the Oscars, I would have predicted that one, too.

The year before that, the accurate predictions were:

Cate Blanchett (The Aviator) *winner*
Johnny Depp (Finding Neverland)
Leonardo DiCaprio (The Aviator)
The Incredibles (Best Animated) *winner*

Again with the hindsight, I didn't see Million Dollar Baby and Ray until after I made the predictions, otherwise I would have included them!

And of course, the first year I did my predictions:

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Best Picture) *winner*
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (Best Picture)
Seabiscuit (Best Picture)
Johnny Depp (Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl)

And actually, you could say that I accurately predicted the winner in any category that included Lord of the Rings that year. Because they swept the awards, just as they should have.

No comments: