Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Geek Trip!!!!!

Original Post Date: August 15, 2007

So.....I want to take a geek trip. I want to go to Aspen sometime within the next month to see "The Last 5 Years" at Theatre Aspen. Why do I want to go all this way, just to see a show I've already seen? Here's a list:

1) It's an absolutely AMAZING show. It's more of a song cycle than a show, actually. Cathy's songs start out at the end of the relationship and Jamie's start out at the beginning. The songs work towards each other and meet on their wedding day. It's an incredibly powerful piece of theatre.

2) Hadley Fraser is playing Jamie. This might be my only chance in my lifetime to see the guy who played Tiernan in "The Pirate Queen." Okay, so this should be listed as my 1 reason for going, but I'm trying to downplay the geekiness just a TAD. It's not working...I know.

3) I'm overdue for a geek trip. I haven't had one this year. I've had one each of the past 2 years, so it's time.

Okay, so herein lies the problem: It's a 4 1/2 hour drive to Aspen. I would not be able to drive back home after the show. Too far, too long of a drive. So I've got to sleep somewhere. Well, if you've ever tried to get a hotel room in Aspen, you know...it's freaking expensive! It's even very expensive to go up the road to Basalt, Carbondale, Snowmass, etc. You'd think it would be cheap in the summer...mmmyeah it's not. The closest Walmart is in Glenwood Springs, so I'm not opposed to sleeping in the car. I'd prefer not to, but it's looking that way.

Now for the other problem: I don't want to go by myself. My sister keeps going back and forth as to whether or not she'll go. She's poorer than me (if that's possible). So I need one or more people to go with me. The tickets are $40 (that is SOOOO cheap for seeing Broadway actors, TRUST ME!). I'm looking at going on either August 24 or 31st (both are Fridays). I'd be leaving around 2 or 2:30 when I get off work and driving up. If I go on the 31st, I won't be going all the way back to Loveland on the Saturday, because I'm going to see "The Little Mermaid" at the Ellie that day at 2.

So, if you'd be interested in going, please let me know ASAP. Or if you'd like to contribute to Angela and Shauna's Geek Trip Fund, make checks out to me. I accept cash, too. :)

Help a theatre geek out. PLEASE?!

No comments: